Goodbye Andy. Say hello to Scott

You're probably thinking "She's officially lost her marbles." You may be correct but I do have a reason for my slightly bizarre title.
In case you have heard Andy Rooney has died. When I heard the news this morning, I couldn't help but laugh. Literally. I'm not the type to laugh at any ones death, and certainly not at an American icons death. But this morning, I knew that Scott was getting one of his wishes.
Scott had an interesting "relationship" with Andy Rooney. One of my favorite stories that Scott shared with me was about his Sunday nights growing up as a kid. In the Witt house, Sunday night brought family dinner, and a quiet night of television.
Scott knew when he heard the ticking of the 60 Minutes clock on the television, his weekend was over. The hours of playing outdoors were gone. The time spent on the shore of a local lake with Rob, catching fish was over. The bikes were put away. The garage door was closed.
He had to trade in his Star Wars figurines for pencils. It was time to finish homework and sit with the family and watch 60 Minutes and the Disney Sunday Night Movie.
Scott hated knowing the weekend was over. He wanted nothing more than to stop that silly clock on the tv and keep having the non-stop fun. As we all know, all good things must come to an end. Scott just hated letting go.
As he grew older, Scott started listening to Andy Rooney at the end of 60 Minutes. Loving the way Mr. Rooney could analyze the simplest of things, making you see them differently. Scott would listen to Mr. Rooney and laugh. Scott would think about what he was hearing and admitted to thinking to himself on more than one occasion "What would Andy say about this?".
Those final moments of 60 Minutes stuck with Scott long after he stopped watching it. Andy Rooney stayed on a short list of people that Scott thought were pretty cool and would like to have lunch with.
I know that Scott got his wish. I'm not sure how the whole "lunch" thing works in heaven. But I'm really very sure that Scott is breaking bread with Andy Rooney. I'm kind of jealous of Andy.

missy dappen  – (November 5, 2011 at 11:23 PM)  

R.I.P Andy. The ticking drove me crazy as a child, too. It was just such an adult program, and I never understood what the people were saying. As I grew older, I continued to dislike the show, though I now know that, while I might not agree with Mr Rooney's point-of-view, I certainly respect someone whose critical analysis skills are so sharp.

I hope Andy's getting as much a kick out of Scott's company as the rest of us have. Lucky schmuck :)

Cindi b –   – (November 8, 2011 at 4:19 PM)  

Maybe Scott can give Andy an eyebrow trim while he's at it.

Post a Comment