She gets it

I have to share a story from today. My apologies to my mom and Scott for not being able to share this story with them "live". I cried when it happened and I'm starting to tear up already. I know that sharing this moment in my life is going to be difficult for me. Bear with me.

Kate and I were out this evening. Before we left the house Scott suggested Chinese food for dinner. Not one to argue with an egg roll, I happily obliged.

When we arrived at the restaurant to pick up dinner there were a few people already waiting for their orders. Kate was her usual cute self. Asking questions, using her manners, saying "excuse me Mommy" before asking her question. She was being so well behaved.

There was one woman there in particular that Kate was drawn to. She was a woman in her 60's with a soft southern accent. She kind of reminded me of my Grams, I'm thinking she reminded Kate of her too because of the way Kate was naturally drawn to this woman.
While I paid the bill Kate and this woman chatted. Kate shared her age, her name and she was lamenting about how she wants to be 5 so she can ride in the big yellow school bus. This nice lady with all her southern charm just kept chatting with her.
Out of nowhere Kate says "my Daddy didn't come with to get our dinner." The lady asked if he was waiting at home. What Kate said next came as a little bit of a surprise to me.
Without hesitation Kate told the lady "My daddy is sick. He has a balloon in his leg and one in his tummy. They pop and make it so my daddy can't walk any more. He has a really cool wheelchair. It's not a red one anymore, it's black now."
Kate paused for a breath and I interjected. Telling the woman my token easy answer "My husband has a rare genetic disease that causes aneurysms. We've told her that they are like little balloons and sometimes they go pop in Daddy and we have to take him to the hospital."

As I look at this woman, I see tears in her eyes. She looks back at Kate and says. "My husband has a blood problem and he's in a wheelchair too. The doctors had to take part of his leg off so he could get better. Is your daddy getting better?"
This moment is forever paused in my heart. The words Kate spoke will stay with me forever. She was so calm. So matter of fact. So sweet and innocent.
She climbed on the chair next to the woman and said "Um, my daddy still talks and everything so he's still just like my daddy but now he can't walk. He's going to go to heaven soon and won't talk to me anymore. He'll still be my daddy, even when he's not here. Right mommy?"
There in that Chinese restaurant a stranger and I shared a tear. I pulled Kate onto my lap and told her she was absolutely right. That her daddy would always be her daddy and he would always love her and watch over her.
Kate mumbled something and scurried off my lap to look at the clown fish in the tank.
The woman watched her walk away and spoke the words that were in my heart, the words I could not say. "What an amazing little girl. She's got a beautiful soul."



She'll be ok. She gets it.

Jen  – (February 5, 2011 at 9:25 PM)  

What a beautiful story. What an amazing little girl with amazing parents!

Mommara  – (February 5, 2011 at 9:56 PM)  

I just shed tears for you all. What a wonderful job you are doing as a mom for her to "get" this tough thing she is going to have to deal with. Ugh, I just want to hug you and share a glass of wine.

Nick  – (February 5, 2011 at 10:03 PM)  

What happens on the way to "growing up" that steals from adults the ability to think and speak with such a profound and eloquent simplicity as this? Perhaps God entrusts this gift to children alone because God knows they are still friends of truth and harbor no reason to be otherwise.

BigDan  – (February 6, 2011 at 7:04 AM)  

"A beautiful soul." That captures everything. May we all have a touch of that...

Scott  – (February 6, 2011 at 7:42 AM)  

Wow. Such a powerful moment from such a little person. You three truly make a miraculous family and I'm so glad you shared with us. A beautiful soul is right.

Kim  – (February 6, 2011 at 9:55 AM)  

Brandi, I am in tears now. Beautiful soul is the perfect way to describe her and wonderful Mom is what you are.((Hugs)) to you, Kate and Scott. Happy Superbowl!!
♥♥♥

lea –   – (February 6, 2011 at 1:35 PM)  

What an amazing little lady you've got. This made me cry, thank you for sharing! <3

Colleen  – (February 6, 2011 at 1:57 PM)  

Ok I am tearing up here. She is so precious. She most definitely has a beautiful soul. I've never met you but I am sure she got alot of that from her mama.

LisaW  – (February 6, 2011 at 3:12 PM)  

Oh my Ms. Brandi, what an amazing moment with your daughter. You were meant to find that woman. Your daughter is a beautiful soul with two parents equally as beautiful.

missy dappen  – (February 6, 2011 at 9:38 PM)  

No one could sum it up better than this stranger. What's so crazy is that she could pick up on it after such a brief interaction with you both. I hope you realize how that reflects on how you and Scott have raised her!

Lots of love always!

Kath  – (February 7, 2011 at 10:01 AM)  

What a precious gem you have, and what precious gems she has as parents! Love you guys!

Nicole  – (February 7, 2011 at 6:45 PM)  

Oh Brandi. What a smart and amazing girl you have. I imagine she's a lot like her parents in that way. Lots of love and hugs to you. I can't imagine the emotions you felt and are still feeling.

Post a Comment