Memorial Day

I wrote about the real meaning of Memorial Day (to me at least) on the other blog.

Kate's fever last night meant missing a gathering with friends. No sense getting anyone else sick. Sometimes, I really hate being an adult. So, we spent a quiet day at Grandma and Grandpa's. After a long nap Kate woke up fever free and feeling mostly better. Even with the good nap, she's already been asleep for forty minutes.
To the friends we didn't get to see, we missed you and you're welcome.

I came to the realization today that while I was looking forward to the change of seasons, I was wrong. Changing seasons brings a whole round of, "wish he was here" "who's going to shuck the corn, it was Scott's job?" and remembering "what's that I hear? Is it the ice cream truck? Bran, you got money for ice cream?"

Mom shucked the corn, I made sure I had money and Kate waited patiently for the ice cream truck.



It was an epic battle but in the end the smile and laughter beat the tears and sadness... mostly.

Anonymous –   – (May 30, 2011 at 9:09 PM)  

*hugs*

It is memories like this Kate is going to remember forever.

Becky  – (May 31, 2011 at 6:22 PM)  

Brandi, I've been "catching up" with some of your posts, and I'm WAY embarrassed to admit I found myself--when you were describing the folks you meet who tiptoe around you, and Scott, and your sorrow (and happiness in Kate). I've always been afraid of tromping right in and hurting someone, but you described so well what you're feeling. Scott was an amazing person, who was so easy to love--even those of us who didn't know him long (enough), immediately knew that once he met you, you were his friend. He loved you and Kate (and your parents) with all his heart. Although we're anxious to come see you all this summer, know that it will NOT be the same--Scott was a presence that's impossible to describe, ignore, or replace. We'll have a great time, watch the Cubs win (or lose), marvel in the amazing wonderfulness of Miss Kate, and hoist one (or more) in Scott's honor, and we'll miss him while we're at it. Since I'm wiping away a drop or two, I'll change the tone and warn you that Miss Kate's quilt will NOT be done, no matter how much I wish it would... but it's still on my ever-growing to-do list!! Loving you all, and being constantly amazed at your strength and honesty and will to go on (as well as being totally envious of your talent with your camera)!
Becky

Post a Comment