True Love

*cue flashback music*
It's 1979, a beautiful young woman named Sherri has 2 small children, myself and my older brother Mathew. While she is just barely an adult by age she's really closer to 40 by experience. Sherri's parents being the wonderful people they are encourage her to go out and join the other youth in their small Iowa town.
Sherri's dearest friend "Aunt" Mel coaxes her into the hottest local nightspot "The Jailhouse". This bar is home to the then infamous Tom Arnold and other "entertaining" member of tiny town society.
The ladies stroll into the bar with their posse of friends and quickly make themselves at home. Over the next couple of weeks the girls begin spending more and more time at "The Jailhouse" ordering drinks, listening to the music like I Was Made For Loving by Leif Garrett and Lady by Little River Band (it was a stellar year) and getting to know the owners.
In other parts of town Kirby and his brother from another mother "Uncle" Jeff are working their parts in the bar ownership. Jeff doing music and Kirby mixing the drinks (never ask him to make you a Mo Fo, you won't be able to function for days)and spending time with the customers.
After weeks of flirting with each other Kirby and Sherri go out on their first date. The first date seamlessly transitions into a few short months of "dating".

Late one night after Kirby has discovered all of Sherri's stolen bar glasses and pitchers, and cleaned up a pukey child, Kirby heads into the kitchen to make Sherri her post "work" at the bar peanut butter sandwich with the crust cut off. This time when he hands Sherri her plate there is a ring on it.

True love had been sealed with peanut butter. The two plan a wedding.

This day in 1980 was the hottest day ever in the history of the world, Kirby and Sherri were wed in a beautiful park with their family and friends. Uniting not only two perfect soul mates but an entire family. Bound forever by love, compassion, understanding, and their own uniquely crazy dysfunction.

I cannot begin to describe what growing up with two parents that love each other so much means. Honestly, it's sickening. When I was a teenager my parents would make out like teenagers. Hell, I'm in my 30's and my parents still make out like teenagers. While I always put on a disgusted face and scream things like "Go somewhere else" I secretly would smile on the inside. I am one of the lucky ones that gets to see true love everyday. They have taught me what it is and that's how I know beyond doubt that I have found the same.

Happy Anniversary Mom and Dad. Love you.


PS - Looky who figured out how to make pictures bigger. weeeee.....

Unknown  – (August 10, 2010 at 7:37 AM)  

Great post Brandi. Happy Anniversary Sherri and Kirby! All the best!

Post a Comment