Do you know what day it is?

You're right, it has been three weeks since Scott's passing but that's not what I'm talking about. I'm not going to live my life (or encourage Kate to live hers) constantly counting the moments we haven't had him. I'm going to encourage both of us to remember, honor and cherish the moments we had while still embracing the new moments ahead.

So...
Do you know what day it is?

I didn't until I got a message from my mom this morning. Turns out according to the Chicago Tribune today is National Deep Dish Pizza Day.
This kids means one thing in Chicago.

A trip to Giordano's.



Yeah Baby! Look at that deliciousness.


There is nothing better. If you haven't eaten there plan a trip soon. All I ask is that you call me so I can go with. I might bring my family with too since they are just as big of fans.

My brother Matt, kissing my ass in gratitude for suggesting we all meet to celebrate this very special day.

My baby brother Justin, looking all sweet and innocent hoping that I'll over look his greedy hogging of all the creamy garlic dressing.

And my very handsome Daddy.

Mom and Kara were there too but they are girls and they wouldn't like the pictures I took of them so I'll refrain.

Giordano's was absolutely one of Scott's favorite places. We all thought of him as we gorged ourselves. I just wish I could remember the last time we were there all together. I remember plenty of dinners there but I can't recall the last time. I did find myself laughing inside thinking about re-heating leftover Giordano's pizza for Scott. He swore I had a magic trick because I could get the pizza hot in the center without overcooking the crust. Poor guy never quite mastered the art of the toaster oven. Good thing his wife's claim to fame is being able to make a seven course meal in a toaster oven.
Don't be jealous.

He's always there. He's always with us. There are no words for the stabbing in my chest when we come in the door from dinner and Kate forgetting Scott's not here says "Daddy we home." then turns to me with huge tears in her eyes and says "I forgot Daddy was in heaven. I like it better when he was here waiting for me."

I liked it better too Baby Girl.

Jill –   – (April 5, 2011 at 11:12 PM)  

That made me tear up. Thinking of you guys all the time. Next time tell Kate that her dad was there, because he is always with you guys. He heard her.

Anonymous –   – (April 6, 2011 at 6:32 AM)  

you always manage to bring the tears with ur words. good thing i wait to do my makeup lol. we love you and kate. (((HUGS)))

Cassie –   – (April 6, 2011 at 9:00 AM)  

Hi Brandi,

I saw your post last week on the what's cooking board on the nest and I started reading your blog. I must admit I am now hooked and read it every morning along with Enjoying the Small Things. I laughed when I saw you referenced that blog in one of your posts.

I just wanted to say that I am so sorry for both you and Kate. This post really made me tear up.

Kim  – (April 6, 2011 at 9:34 AM)  

I would like to eat here day 2 of my trip, you promised Chinese on day 1 remember? I'm frakken starving now :)

Nicole  – (April 6, 2011 at 4:37 PM)  

Looks yummy! Now I want pizza. Nothing that good around here though! love and hugs!

Glinda  – (April 7, 2011 at 6:10 AM)  

That pizza looks amazing!! Now I want some!

Reese  – (April 13, 2011 at 12:01 PM)  

That's not my "kissing your ass" face. That's my "oh sweet Jesus, I've gorged myself and am likely to erupt soon" face. So... much... pizza...

Post a Comment