Happy Easter

On the way home from a late brunch, I suggested to Kate that we stop at the store and get the ingredients to make some cookies. Being a happy little baker, she excitedly agreed. We decided on the way in to make oatmeal raisin cookies. I'm a baker at heart, and I have to say I've only made oatmeal raisin cookies three times in my life that I can remember.
Coming into the grocery store, Kate commented on the Easter balloons. She loves balloons. I can't tell you how many of them we've gotten just to have them break free in our living room and spend the next several weeks at the top of our 24' high ceiling. The day they return to reachable levels is like getting the balloon all over again.

We've also lost more than enough to the wild outdoors. What kid hasn't grasped onto the long string of a balloon watching it dance in the wind, just to have it ripped from their chubby little fingers and be taken away.
Shrieking, tears and epic meltdowns always ensue. It's just a sad fact of life that every child needs to adjust to.

After commenting on the balloon, Kate became quiet. A little distant even. I didn't think much of it, it had been a long day and it was long past nap time. Half way through the store, Kate asked me if it was "very windy" outside. "It is" I say.

"Mommy, do you think it's windy enough that a balloon would go all the way to heaven?" Her big blue eyes are staring at me with tears sitting on the edge.
"You know what Kate, I think it might just be windy enough. Should we send Daddy a balloon?"
"Yes! But I want to draw him a picture so he knows it's from me."
"Anything you want baby girl. Anything you want."

We came home, changed out of our Sunday brunch clothes. I chose instead to snuggle inside a over sized hooded sweatshirt that was Scott's.
Sitting at the kitchen table, I asked Kate what she wanted to say to Daddy. I wrote exactly what she told me to. She colored a picture on her Easter Bunny pad of paper that we attached to the back of the card.
Out in to the wind we went. The backyard where we've had so much fun as a family, was the perfect place to give Scott our gift.

Letting the balloon go, Kate called out "Love you Daddy". We stood in the backyard, watching it float over the house, through the back yard, over the corn fields. We stood watching it until the tiny spec disappeared. Just me and my beautiful little girl, reaching out for the one thing we couldn't have today. Both of us with tears on our cheeks, smiled. Reaching in the pocket of the Scott's hoodie, there were two perfect, unused Kleenex tissues.

I think there will be many more balloons in our future.

We made the most of the day. Hoping you all did the same.

Mommara  – (April 24, 2011 at 9:43 PM)  

I have chills. LOve you guys.

Kath  – (April 24, 2011 at 9:57 PM)  

Love you guys! Know you are not alone!

Sara –   – (April 24, 2011 at 10:41 PM)  

Amazing little girl you've got there. ((hugs))

Barb  – (April 24, 2011 at 10:55 PM)  

Tears. Lots and lots of tears.

Such a thoughtful little girl! Hugs to both of you!

Nat  – (April 25, 2011 at 6:19 AM)  

what a sweet gesture. I can't imagine how hard the holidays are but you girls are awesome and Scott must be so proud to call you his from heaven. Lots of hugs.

Anonymous –   – (April 25, 2011 at 7:25 PM)  

That's so heartbreaking. You say things so well. Love you and your fam. Jeanne Snyder

missy dappen  – (April 25, 2011 at 9:15 PM)  

I know Scott had a huge grin on his face when he received the message from his girls. Love you guys!

Marlene –   – (April 25, 2011 at 9:49 PM)  

What a precious idea!! Scott is looking down to you both. He is in heaven talking to his entire family about you and Kate. They are all looking down smiling. I enjoy you sharing your thoughts on the blog. It really helps keep him alive in our hearts. Marlene

Kim  – (April 26, 2011 at 11:42 AM)  

Yep I'm bawling. What a great idea from Miss Kate.

Lots of love

Post a Comment