Codes

As we were speaking with Dr. Young this morning there was a Code Blue called for the 5th floor of JRB. As some of you may remember hearing codes in JRB is quite disturbing for me.
Here is what I wrote about it last time Scott was here.

A patient on our floor died today. This doesn't happen often at all in rehab. In fact it only happens 2 or 3 times a year. The patient is usually moved out before he/she passes. But today things happened to quickly.

I got used to hearing "codes" be called in SICU. But for some reason seeing/hearing one at Bowman is so different. I guess in my head everyone there is closer to home than they are to death. Maybe that isn't as true as I would like to believe.
The man that passed was only in his mid 30's and he had a 2 or 3 year old little girl. Kate and his daughter "played" together on Sunday.

I think the hardest part might have been seeing his wife step off the elevator. I had just overheard that nobody had been able to reach her via phone yet and there she appeared.
Steeping off the elevator, not a care in the world, strolled past the front desk, smiling at the clerk and me, walking past a few of the doctors that had just tried to save her husband - not knowing who they were or why they were there and then wham she stops just outside his door. A doctor finally realizes who she is and steps in front of her. The agony in her face and voice resonate in my ears. She screams and pushes past the doctors and rushes into her husbands room. I can't see what's happening from there but the entire floor can hear her screams and crying. We hear it through closed doors, we hear it over Robin Roberts and Bill Weir on Good Morning America, we hear it over Scott's electric razor as he gets ready for his 9am PT.
I see this woman later in the day. She's standing downstairs waiting for her ride, clutching her baby girl, she's covered in her husbands blood, a family member says "please just go put this shirt on". She turns away and says "all I have left of him is on this shirt and in my arms. I'm not letting go."
Kate, in her stoller, and I push past her. We're brining lunch back for Scott. I'm so very grateful that I get to bring another lunch to Scott. All the times those doctors did everything for Scott. All the same things that they did for that man today. It worked for Scott every time. Everytime I was blessed with one more day with my husband. Kate gets another chance to know who her daddy is.

One more day, one more wonderful glorious day for us and no more days for this other family.



Praying for the best possible outcome for the patient on 5.

It's starting off to be a craptastic Monday. Hoping it ends with some great PT and OT and some good news from my Grandma about the very complicated spinal surgery they are doing on her husband this morning.

Come on Monday .... I have faith in you....Don't suck.

Jen –   – (February 1, 2010 at 1:25 PM)  

Hope Monday is going well! It is a new month and February will be better then January!

Love ya!
Jen

Anonymous –   – (February 1, 2010 at 1:33 PM)  

Dear Brandi, I'm praying for you and Scott. After you have a loved one so close to death and having a code called on them you never hear a code called without a pit in your stomach. Praying that God will give you peace today. Love you guys! Alison

Anonymous –   – (February 1, 2010 at 6:36 PM)  

Prayers that the code called had a good ending and the patient is doing well.

I can empathize with you on this one -- I know that when I hear Life Flight fly over (we are in their direct path from the hospital in Bloomfield) my stomach still drops into my feet and my heart begins to race. I don't think the feeling will ever go away.

When you talk to your Grandma please tell her that I have been thinking of her and Donovan today and praying that his surgery went well -- hopefully the outcome will be good.

I say we take the craptastic out of craptastic Monday.

Love and hugs to you and Scott and Katydid.

And, don't forget Scott -- TODAY you are GREAT SCOTT!

Unc

Anonymous –   – (February 1, 2010 at 8:18 PM)  

I am afraid i have no great words of wisdom for the craptastic Monday. Although my Monday was not the best I truly appriciate that it was a Monday I got to experience. When I read your posts I always think this is one strong girl and that Scott has more determination than i have ever witnessed. The two of you have endured more than most of us can imagine.

Reading your posts makes me take a good long look at what sits before me, although it is not perfect it is mine and i would not trade it for the world.

Hope the "code" had a good outcome and that Scott worked hard today and made great progress. Lots of Love and hugs,
Sara

Post a Comment