Hola - gotta brush up on my spanish

First, just to clear up any confusion to yesterdays post, Scott is home. Our plan is for him to stay home until the end.

Our first meeting with Hospice today went beautifully. We welcomed Carrie into our home and she immediately felt like family. She just gets it. There was no moment where I wanted to smack her, tell her to leave or tell her to shut up. I wanted her to have a glass of wine and spend the night.
I'm more than a little frustrated that we didn't call in hospice sooner. They are wonderful. Carrie (she'll be our coordinator) came in around 1:30pm. Left at 345pm. By 4pm, my phone was ringing and with the delivery company arranging to have the oxygen for Scott delivered tonight. By 415pm, Carrie called me back to let me know that a medicine delivery would also be happening tonight. By 5pm I had heard from the meds delivery place.
By 9pm tonight the oxygen had been delivered, the meds had been delivered and we'd made a few more new friends.

Our oxygen delivery person, Adam, also became an instant friend. A young guy, totally nice, very helpful and when we sat around and talked inappropriately he appropriately joined right in.
For the past year, I have been potitioning our insurance company to get Scott a specialized air mattress to help his wounds. They have denied, denied and denied. In 2 hours Carrie and the hospice team made it happen. Adam, had that air bed on his truck ready to deliver tonight.
You all cannot imagine the sigh of relief.
We didn't have Scott's bed set up tonight though. We're holding off until Thursday, we were busy having dinner with old friends, Mark, Jay'me and Josh. They came over for a low key dinner spent sitting on chairs in Scott's room. Nobody cared that we weren't sitting at a dinner table.

Nobody noticed when I used paper towels as napkins and everyone just helped themselves to a drink, and a plate.

True family. A great big giant squishy hug, when you need it the most.

Scott celebrated Fat Tuesday with paczki for breakfast and some beads (courtesy of Kathy and BigDan - yes he had to flash for them).



With all the love and support we've received from all of you, we're feeling strong and positive. We're letting your love carry us right now. Lifting us up when we need it the most.
We welcome you all to our home. While, I have fantasy like dreams of calling everyone personally and extending an invitation, that just isn't going to happen. Send an email, text, call, whatever and we'll coordinate something. Just please don't come by if you're feeling ill. We don't need any cold, flu germs floating in this house. I'm a miserable bitch when I get sick. (heehee)

To end the night, I will make sense of my blog title. The med delivery package that came tonight challenged my high school spanish. I know this cell phone picture is crappy but take a close look.

I see nowhere in english that it says Keep Refrigerated but I'm pretty sure that is what it says in spanish at the very bottom.
Good thing I remember that Carrie said "just put the box in your fridge and we'll go over things tomorrow". Those 4 years of spanish we're quite helpful too.

Taking in a deep breath, putting down my walls, and allowing this moment in time to wash over me. I need to feel it. I need to live it. I need to be present.
I encourage you all to do the same thing in your life.

Anonymous –   – (March 9, 2011 at 3:38 AM)  

Brandi,Northern Illinois Hospice is a fabulous organization.You will be so glad that they are assisting you.Gary and I wish you love and peace.I will call you and we will stop by when its convenient you all of you.Love Nancy

Nick  – (March 9, 2011 at 11:16 AM)  

I was a hospice chaplain for six years at one point in my career. Although I realize there are differences among local hospice offerings, Hospice is still the one thing I feel comfortable recommending without hesitation or qualification. I really do trust that they will provide Scott, you, and Kate the services you will need and and offer you all the respect and compassion you so richly deserve.

Mommara  – (March 9, 2011 at 3:02 PM)  

Sending hugs and thoughts your way. I am so glad you called them.

Post a Comment