Monty Python

I'm trying as much as possible to stay glass half full. I'm really doing it quite successfully. In fact, I'm not finding myself having to force it.

Scott always, ALWAYS, looked on the bright side of life. It was just part of his nature. Over our nine years together he encouraged me to adapt his positive way of life. I love that in his death, my natural response has just been to do what he always wanted me to do.

The week of his death, he still talked about how there were people out there that had it far worse than he did. He was laying there, slowly dying, talking about others and their pain and suffering.
He was so worried that the directions I gave the social worker were wrong that he forced himself to go over the directions I had drawn and add details to help her get to her destination. Then before she could leave, he caused a rukus in his room so I would come back in to check on him. He couldn't reach his phone to call me and he wanted to make sure I gave the social worker my phone number on the directions so she could call if she got lost.
Really Scott, you're more worried about her getting lost than you are making sure you're getting enough rest.
The day he died, my friend Sere was here visiting. Scott was obviously very, very weak and tired. When the visit got to be too much for him he asked Sere to leave the room. He was polite, gentle and sweet, asking her to leave and having me stay. Then after she left, he looked at me with his big eyes, full of tears and apologized for taking my friend away from me and for being so rude in asking her to leave. Silly boy.
It was just his way. I physically took care of everything and he emotionally made sure everyone got what they needed. It's what I miss most.

*****
My mom and I got the boys (Dad, Scott, Justin and Matt) tickets to see Spamalot, the Monty Python musical when it opened in Chicago. Many a quotes came from that play. This song was always something Scott would hum or whistle.

It suited him.

Mommara  – (March 28, 2011 at 9:44 PM)  

I love this. Song, story, the whole outlook!

The glass is always really half full. Half full of water. Half full of air. :) I really like Scott a lot. My kinda guy.

Anonymous –   – (March 28, 2011 at 10:55 PM)  

What a cute little painter she is,I know this is a very hard time for both of you right now because the loss is so fresh.I will not pull the time line thing because thats such bullshit.Its hard to be strong when you are in such pain but you've done a good job and Kate will be okay.Thinking of you,Love Nancy

Anonymous –   – (March 29, 2011 at 1:31 PM)  

Brandi, I think of you and Kate daily. xxxooo
Carole Hall

Kim  – (March 29, 2011 at 4:44 PM)  

I prefer my glass half full of wine ;) Thinking of you a lot latley! (Hugs)

Post a Comment