Sunshine, Roses, Puppy Dog Tails

I know some of you are cringing at this title. The people that know me best know that this is my "phrase" for when I really want to say "mother fucker son of a bitch, screw it!".
Stop cringing it's not that bad, I just liked the title today.

All in all things are going well at the Witt house. K is adjusting pretty well, all things considered. We made it through a day together just the three of us. K went to school in the am which meant I had to leave Scott alone for the first time.
Guess what kids he was exactly where I left him when I returned. Fortunately he has his mental faculties so he doesn't try to move around without assistance, at least not yet anyways. Another homemade dinner and lots of laughing.

Today though it hit me that I'm alone. Well, not really, I have all of you and I know that I could call anyone of you and you would come running but....it's just not practical. I have to figure this out on my own. Honestly, I did it well today but, I'm feeling it.

I knew how much I was going to miss the big people at RUSH. Kathy, BigDan, Nate and Kate in PT, all the OT girls etc. etc. the list goes on....
What I didn't realize is how much I was going to miss the people that removed the garbage twice a day (because we go through 2 garbage bags a day now with his dressing changes), the people that kept the bathroom from smelling like a...well a bathroom, and food service - oh how I miss food service. Knock on door, in comes a person carrying a tray of food, placed directly in front of you, eat food, in comes person to remove food never leaving behind a dirty dish.
And all the while those unsung heroes did it with a smile (for the most part). Believe me when I tell you I'm not smiling while I'm doing the dishes, taking out the endless garbage, or scrubbing the toilets. Gosh I miss those people.

We're hanging in, making adjustments and enjoying the time together. We met our home health care nurse Michelle. I very politely told her we don't need her services and just to send over OT and PT. She took one look at the photos of Scott's leg and practically ran out of the house. She was more than happy to get her "free pass". She'll return Friday to discharge Scott from the nursing services. PT and OT didn't call today to set up appointments so I'm going to have to get nutty tomorrow. Scott is getting weaker by the second being home and not getting 3 hours of hard work in a day.
He's probably getting more OT than he was before but his PT has taken a HUGE hit. We're working hard on doing the exercises but....

Maybe what's really bothering me tonight is this...
One of the kindest people I've ever had the pleasure of meeting passed away suddenly this weekend.
Dr. Patte. Not only was Dr. Patte Scott's podiatrist but he is also the father of one of Scott's friends. He was only 51 years old. Seemingly healthy it just hit like a ton of bricks.
We've been talking for weeks about needing to get Scott in to see Dr. Patte. He was such a smart, practical guy that we knew he could help guide us with what to do with Scott's left foot to help keep it safe as well as address the ongoing issues with his right. Every time his name came up in conversation Scott and I couldn't help but comment on how he's the nicest guy ever. I needed to see him recently when I didn't have medical coverage, he refused any and all payments, gave me a fantastic exam, good practical advice realizing I'm the "work horse" in our family. We chatted about his daughters wedding, Kate's age, and life in general. I talked to him for 30minutes even though I hadn't ever met him before.
So kind, so gracious, so wonderful. My heart is breaking for his wife tonight. Tonight I guarantee you she's feeling alone, isolated, terrified. I wish there was more that could be done.
I wish I didn't feel a kinship with her. Because in some ways right now I feel like I lost my husband too.
But I didn't. I got lucky. I have a chance to help my husband heal. To heal, to grow, to build back his strength and let us all see that character that is the "Authentic Scott". Thank God I got lucky.

Our deepest condolences to the Patte family.


And because I can't leave this on a depressing note -
One final day for the "Name Scott's Tendon" contest. During tonight dressing change I tried out a few of the contestants. We've got some good ones. The gift basket is here just waiting on the lucky winner.

Anonymous –   – (March 9, 2010 at 2:05 AM)  

I'm up burning the midnight oil as usual.My friends call it post menopausal insomnia.I call it a pain in the ass.Sorry about your friends passing,these things are always hard to understand.My name for Scotts tendon is Ickabod.Its the best I could do on short notice and it is icky.I,m wearing track shoes if you need me.Love Nancy

Anonymous –   – (March 9, 2010 at 7:11 AM)  

Couple Tendon names...

White Lightning
Little Whitey
or just plain Honkey.. spelled Hawnke :)

Mark

Anonymous –   – (March 9, 2010 at 7:24 AM)  

Good morning Witt family !
That's all,
Jay'me

Post a Comment